Thursday, January 5, 2012

Book Review: Cinder by Marissa Meyer

   Cinder is the debut novel of author Marissa Meyer set in the far future.
Cover Blurb:
   Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .
   Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.



    I've always had a soft spot for fairy tale remakes, but I must admit Cinderella was never my favorite. However, after reading Cinder, I just might change my mind. A spectacular read!
    It always bothered me that Cinderella acted like a doormat and never stood up for herself, but Cinder (Main Character) was entirely devoid of this problem. She knew who she was and new how she should be treated. And she expressed that while not grating on the reader. Kai (Romantic Interest, Also Prince of the Commonwealth) was developed in a way that made it clear he was a person and not just a Prince Charming. And with all the main and supporting characters I could perceive the motives behind their actions.
Characters: 5 Stars
     Marissa Meyer has crafted a story in a world so filled with detail and intrigue that I found myself reading straight through. With a plague, and a looming war with the Lunar people, the basic Cinderella story was very exciting. I did guess a big secret before it was revealed, but it was still fun to see the foreshadowing build on my hunch. I'm already counting down the days for the sequel, Scarlett, in 2013.
Plot: 5 Stars
      Cinder did not read like a debut. It read like maybe the fourth or fifth bestseller from an author experienced in where she wanted her book to go and the best way to get there. Cinder takes  place in the far future of China and I loved the mixture of past and future cultures. Very realistic,and I will be eagerly awaiting future books. (like seriously, you'd better move out of the way) 
Style: 5 Stars


Rating: 5 Stars
Source: Amazon
Genre: Sci-Fi
YA Fiction

Author Info:
Marissa Meyer Blog
Twitter
Facebook
Goodreads

1 comment:

  1. This was a great read. I loved this one too! Funny how it completely changed my perspective of Cinderella. Why hadn't I realized that Cinderella was really a cyborg all along?

    So how much longer before the next one comes out?

    ReplyDelete