Monday, September 3, 2012

Interview & Free Book: Dawn Harshaw

   Ever since I was little I was interested in how things work. This led me to learn more about logic and science, but I also became fascinated by the more mystical side of the universe to which there are no easy explanations. Lucid dreaming and out of body experiences (you know, that "light at the end of a tunnel" thing) I found particularly interesting.

   Since I didn't find the 'Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, The Universe, and Everything' in any books - well, not in a way that would satisfy my curiosity - I've spent years pondering related questions. As my ponderings got more complex, I started writing to help me formulate my thoughts. After writing many bits and pieces of creative non-fiction, I have turned to fantasy to bring my ideas to life, and the result is "Dream Magic: Awakenings!"

Favorite reads?
   My favorite books are Frank Herbert's "Dune" series and R. A. Heinlein's "Stranger in a Strange Land".

Inspirations for the book?

   "Dune" was the greatest inspiration, followed by "Stranger in a Strange Land". I have to give credit to "Harry Potter" too, because the person responsible for marketing it was a genius! :o)


Did you know you wanted to be an author when you were little?

   Haha, no. I look at myself more as 'writer' and 'communicator' rather than 'author'. Writing simply emerged as something necessary for understanding and expressing myself. When I was little, I knew I wanted to understand everything! :o)

Any Pet Peeves?

   That phrase for one! I could strangle it, it's so irritating. >_< Here are some other words: 'truthiness', 'blogosphere', 'irregardless'...

Chocolate or Peanut Butter?

   Chocolate! I don't get the appeal of peanut butter, but it's probably an acquired taste, and I tried it only maybe twice in my life...


The weirdest thing you've ever done?

   I honestly don't know. Different people have different views on what is 'normal' and what is 'weird'.


Is there a soundtrack to the book/Favorite music?

   Well, currently I'm listening to a lot of dubstep, eg. Klaypex. However, if I had to choose music to go with my novel, I'd go with Johann Pachelbel's "Canon in D".


Do you need anything to write? 

   I advise everyone to watch John Cleese's talk on creativity (I believe it's this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VShmtsLhkQg). He talks about how important it is to commit both time and space to the creative process. In addition to that, I need 'mindspace' too - my own mind too has to be empty of distractions and unproductive thought patterns for me to be able to pen down my best work.
   Of tools of physical nature, I need my computer, a large notepad that fits in my backpack, a small notepad that fits in my pocket, and a multitude of pens. And yes, chocolate helps! :o)


How long do you write on any average day?

   When I write, I need to commit whole days to the process. For every two days of writing, I need about 3 days of planning and 3 days of editing. While I might actually write only several hours per day, the process of thinking it over again and again consumes my whole day, whatever menial task I might be doing on the side.


Give us the number one reason to read your book.

   Relatable characters and a coherent magic system! If you like magic and don't like how superficially it's handled in most other books, well, then "Dream Magic: Awakenings" is right for you! ^_^

Author Info:
WEBSITE:
www.DawnHarshaw.com
GOODREADS LINK:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15760472-dream-magic
I also have a Storyletter, where I send out my newest flash stories via email to subscribers as soon as I finish them. 


Eric, a young boy, has enough of nightmares ruining his dreams.
Determined to grow stronger, he tackles magical disciplines one at a
time - be it flying, blade magic, or telepathy - and stares down his
fears. But, will he survive the battles and the trial of nightmare mastery?
And at what cost?

"Dream Magic: Awakenings" reaches for deep metaphysical
concepts and uses introspective experiences to offer an
immersive feeling of MAGIC.




First Chapter
*Giveaway*
Unlimited Ebook Copies


No comments:

Post a Comment